When I learned about Mike's company cutting back 25% of their staff almost 24 hours ago, and that they would be notifying him via email today, I knew to look for that one word. Regret.
It was the first word I focused in on when we read the email together at 5:30 this morning. I don't think I'll ever forget what it felt like to read that, while our sweet babies were upstairs making their cute little sleeping noises. It was hard to see all the plans we have for them crumble with that one word.
Beyond the implications for our family, I am heartbroken for Mike. He loves newspapers and has put his heart and soul into becoming an amazing news designer. He has never wanted to do anything else, and still doesn't. However, newspapers seem to be becoming a thing of the past, and print media jobs in general are increasingly hard to come by. (Well, all jobs are hard to come by right now, I guess). He has worked so very hard, and I can't bear to see it come to an end. I have to believe that better things are in store for him.
Our plan for now is to let the dust settle and see if anything comes up in the next few weeks. WE have a wonderful family and amazing friends who have already been a great help to us. I guess the "good" thing in all of this is that we have basically nothing keeping us here, so we are free to go wherever the jobs take us.
The difficult part of this is that we moved here planning to raise our family here. When Patrick was baptized at Zion, I thought we'd be having him confirmed there in 14 years, too.
Prayers are appreciated.
2 comments:
Oh my gosh, Kara, I am so sorry. I'll be thinking of you guys!
Mourn for a little while, wallow for a day or two, hug your kids, hold onto each other, and know that we are thinking of you!
Post a Comment