I have enjoyed this summer so much that I was afraid I'd be dreading the beginning of the new school year. I feared tears at bedtime on Sunday night, clock-watching at work on Monday, longing glances at photos of my kids on my cell phone. And while I am sure it will be a little sad returning to work in 2 1/2 weeks, I have found myself looking forward to The First Day.
It is too hot for outdoor activities, even swimming. I have run out of free and cheap indoor activities. Mall window shopping, walks on the riverfront, cMoe visits, the zoo, pools, EVERY branch library, we've done it all. (My children have been asking to visit Pump it Up daily, but I am scared to tackle that one alone with the baby. We still need to do that when I can round up some reinforcements). I lack the motivation to do anymore home projects (although this has been an insanely productive summer) and have started to look for opportunities during the day to work on school preparations. Rather than jumping out of bed, putting on my Toms and throwing myself daily into being the very best stay-at-home-mom-for-the-summer, I find myself staying in bed for one more cup of coffee, one more hit of the refresh button on my Twitter feed.
Yes, it is time for routine. Seven weeks appears to be my limit, as that is the point at which I started getting antsy during maternity leave this past winter.
And I am thankful for it. Thankful that I don't have the choice to stay home - our family 100% NEEDS me to work. Thankful that I don't feel guilty for going to work, and that I am in love with what I do. Thankful for amazing care for my kids while I am there (seriously, it doesn't get any better than Dad!) I know so many women struggle with the decisions, the choices, the GUILT. I am so blessed that I just don't have that on my plate.
I look forward to enjoying these next 2 1/2 weeks of lazy days, cookouts (if it cools off a little), and morning swims, then happily returning to school on August 8th!
No comments:
Post a Comment