Saturday, August 21, 2004

welcome weekend

How nice to finally have a weekend not interruped by a major catastrophe. With school starting and then the hurricane it's felt like forever since I've had any time with Mike. Thankfully, he still looks the same.

Behavior-wise, it looks like it might be a better year this year. The first graders are AWEFUL!!!!!!!!!! but considering how bad they were last year as kindergarteners, that's not really a suprise. This years K's are fabulous, with the notable exception of Alex. Alex spends all 45 minutes of music class trying to get out the door.

I did have to lay into my 5th graders pretty hard yesterday. I find myself making excuses for them. They go to class all day with very little break time. Lunch and recess are last.....except for specials. So when we get them on Friday afternoon they (or any afternoon) they think they are done for the day. I caught myself thinking that yesterday, but I DON'T want another year like last year. They were being loud while getting out the instruments and I just said (yelled?) STOP and made them put them right back without playing them. This was followed by a 10-minute lecture about my expectations and "this class will NEVER have Fun Friday Recess if you are going to act like this in my classroom." I didn't know I had it in me.

Anyway, weekend should be nice....I CRAVED a big hamburger all day yesterday so we found a pub in Tampa that claimed to serve the best in the bay. Yummy.

No comments: