Monday, July 27, 2009

The last days of summer

Just 9 days until I start training on Aug 6th, then the first teacher day on Aug 10th followed by the first day of school on August 12th! I started getting REALLY excited about my new job within the last couple of weeks. Getting into my classroom helped with that. It's no secret that the plan was for me to stay home with the boys these next few years, and that all that went out the window when Mike was laid off. So, getting the job was bittersweet in a way.

However, I have done it both ways: working mom & stay at home mom, and I can honestly say that there are good and bad things about both. I don't know if I prefer one way over the other. It does help that I so very much LOVE being a music teacher. I really missed it last year. When we first moved to Columbus, I had these really vivid dreams that I was back in my classroom in Tampa, and then I'd wake up practically in tears because it wasn't real. Whatever, I was pregnant and that causes me to have all kinds of crazy dreams and hormonal crying sprees. But, I missed teaching last year, and I really hope I love my new school as much as I loved Seminole.

One thing that I really do love about being a working mom is that I find that my time with my kids is better spent. When I'm home all day, I feel like I'm constantly trying to get stuff done and parenting duties are always getting in the way. Trying to throw in a load of laundry? Nope, Daniel's got his pants off and needs to potty. Get dinner started? Not now, Patrick needs to nurse. However, when I'm working, I am really good at spending the evening just playing with and enjoying my kids, and I leave the other stuff for after they're in bed.

While I am excited for the changes that August will bring (we also close on our house next week!), I am also nervous about how much WORK it's all going to be. The pace of the beginning of a new school year is always exhausting after the long, lazy summer, and I know that will be even more the case for me after being off for an entire year, and also starting at a new school. On top of that, we will be refinishing floors, paining, cleaning, and unpacking at our new house. AT least my classroom is in good shape :) I think another day or so in there should have it ready for kids.

And...........this post was supposed to be about all the fun we've been having lately with the kids, but it didn't turn out that way. A post for another day, I guess! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with school! I go back at the same time. I enjoy my time with Lily but look forward to starting a fresh year at work!