Tuesday, June 7, 2011

potty training FAIL (with a happy ending, though)

3 day method = big fat FAIL for me. And I say for ME and not Patrick because I'm sure it is my high-strung personality that ruined it. I am not even close to being laid back or patient, a must for this method. We just could not make ourselves follow Patrick around all day for 3 days, and it really made him mad when we tried. He refused to go on the potty for a week. I freaked out completely because I planned to stay home the first week to train him and then to enjoy my summer out and about with only one kid in diapers.

Here's the happy ending: I decided to back off. We don't have the personality for the "boot camp" type of potty training. It's going to take all summer, and that's fine. I keep him in underwear at home, stopped mentioning potty and reminding. I bought a pack of pull-ups (though I told him they are underwear) to put him in for outings. I really, really, really believe in cold-turkey potty training - tossing the diapers and being done. But, it just wasn't working for Patrick.

Or so I thought.

Since my new "go with the flow" method started Sunday morning, Patrick has not peed or pooped in his underwear or pull up. Not even once. Not even at night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I tried the three day thing to and couldn't do it! Lily ended up being fine with pull-ups for a bit and it was less stressful! Enjoy your summer :)