It has been exactly one year since Mike picked me up from Maggianos on the last day of school as I said goodbye to my not-exactly-sober coworkers, we crossed the Howard Frankland bridge one more time, and headed back to the midwest.
As if on cue, one of the administrators I interviewed with yesterday looked puzzled as she shuffled through my papers, and asked, "I'm so confused. What about the 08-09 school year???"
I wanted to laugh. I did a little. However, I left out the part about my husband being laid off from a job he held for 9 months after moving our family across the country. I didn't mention the crappy apartment, or the cops in the classrooms I subbed in. Nor did I talk about my daily walks to the park with still-baby Daniel in the stroller and the belly that became Patrick. Or the tens of thousands of dollars we lost when we practically gave our house in Tampa away, both of our cars being broken into, or our washer breaking in the middle of winter with two babies in cloth diapers. I did not tell them about the long, hot summer nights at home alone when I was so scared that someone would climb up into Daniel's window at night and steal him, nor did I mention the cold November night curled up on the couch with my giant Patrick belly just trying to stay awake to watch the election results. I did not talk about driving home from Evansville in the middle of the night during the ice storm, or Daniel finally starting to talk, or our snow walks to the grocery store. I didn't tell them about watching the snow fall from my hospital room window the night we met Patrick, or about spending the cold winter nights with Daniel snug in his bed and Patrick sleeping in my arms. I left out the part about playing in the fountains at Easton, our 5th anniversary at the park in Dublin, our last Thanksgiving as a family of 3, our Christmas tree in the dining room that would have horrified my sister, driving on those brick roads while in labor (and then after the c section - OUCH), seeing fall leaves for the first time in 5 years, the excitement of seeing buds on the trees after months of winter, taking Daniel for his first wagon ride on his 2nd birthday.
No, I left most of it out. I told them that I subbed and spent the year working on my classroom management skills.
I sure thought about the rest of it on the drive home, though. Wow, has it been a year.
1 comment:
Just thinking of you and praying for you Kara! I hope you find a job soon and I know that everything will work out for you. Everything happens like this for a reason, even if we can't see it at the time. At least I like to believe that is true.
Post a Comment