Saturday, September 26, 2009

settling into a new normal

It has been so long since I really felt settled that I almost don't know what to do with myself! I mean, we started talking about and planning on moving away from Tampa in the summer of 2007, so it's been over 2 years of uncertainty. It is very surreal driving around My City and realizing that we REALLY live here and aren't going "home" this time. We ARE home! Six months later (already!) and I still feel like that :)

My job is sucking every last bit of energy I have out of me. I enjoy what I am doing, plus I realize that what my family needs most from me right now is to do a GREAT job at work so I can stay employed. So.....I am working harder at this than I have at anything. I am looking forward to the end of the grading period - I will get a new rotation of kids, and thus, start reusing some lesson plans for 4 out of my 6 classes. Since I'm new to middle school, I've had to write everything from scratch. Very. Time. Consuming. Anyway, once the new grading period starts, my planning time will be consumed with getting ready for my first concert and the musical, but at least it will be a welcome change from spending 2 hours every morning furiously writing lesson plans.

I had my first evaluation this week, which went very well. I was happy he didn't say it was a "cute" lesson like someone else used to say to me all the time. Ha. He did say it was fun, but I was ok with that. I had the kids composing using M&Ms. I'm trying to get them to understand the concept of 4 beats per measure and notating the first 5 pitches of the C scale, and there's only so many interesting ways you can get them to practice that, you know?

The kids are doing great at home with Mike in the mornings and Matt in the afternoons. We really lucked out having Uncle Matt available to watch them, and I come home to happy kids that are usually still down for their naps everyday. I *hate* the fact that I have very little energy for them in the evenings. I have a feeling that will get better as I get used to working. But again, even if it doesn't, being a good mom right now means working as hard as I can at my job.

I just want to end by saying that I love Aldi. I know they had these in Tampa and Columbus, but for some reason we never tried it then. I have forever stressed about our grocery budget.......trying so hard to keep our weekly spending under $100, having to be so careful about what goes in the cart, and ALWAYS blowing it. Not anymore! I throw in basically whatever I want at Aldi, and it stays around $50 a week. No, they don't have name brand stuff, but so far, I like what they have just as much as what the big stores have.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I can relate to your comment about being a good mom by staying employed. Sometimes it's hard to prioritize your time - you could say your kids always come first, but it's not that easy when your kids depend on your paycheck!
I've never heard of Aldi, but I wish we had one. We always spend over $100 a week, and Brenden isn't even eating solids yet!

April said...

Ok, you've convinced me to start shoppping at Aldi. Money's tight these days and I hate to give up my beloved Kroger, but I think it's time to give it a try.
I'm right there with you on having no energy. Poor Evan spends more time with his dad than he does with me and that makes me sad, but 6-8 months from now it will be soooo worth it! Hang in there! You're doing what's best for your family and that's all that matters!