Saturday, January 2, 2010

Kitchen project

I know this is shocking, but this kitchen project has turned out to be more than I planned on. Haha. Just painting cabinets, changing out the hardware, and doing a new backsplash doesn't sound like much. I was right about the backsplash and the hardware, but painting the cabinets was a giant pain.

Here is a before pic:

The flooring was new when we moved in. The hardware is hard to see, but it was bad. All I wanted to do was to replace the hardware and do a new backsplash, but I was talked into painting the cabinets. Mike was finally able to convince me that the holes from the old hardware would still be very obvious unless we painted.

It is/was a huge mess, but I do like how it looks now. Much more of the mid century look we are going for in our 1950s ranch.

Paint: beige enamel on the outside, cream enamel on the inside. We also pained that paneling the same off white color. We have a lot of touching up to do and mistakes to fix, hence the reason why there are no pics yet.

Hardware: I got them from ebay for less than a buck a piece.
On the cabinets......



And on the drawers...
We also got this backsplash. It is chrome and not the brushed color that the sample pic is. I LOVE it!!!! It is a thermoplastic panel that you can buy from Lowes or Home Depot. They have a couple of patterns in the store, and you can special order several others. Here's the one we got:

Our is REALLY shiny and really brightens up the room.

I had hoped to have the room completely finished by the time my break was over, but that isn't going to happen. We have a ton of finishing touches to do, and I did want *some* relaxing time! We'll be sure to post pictures when it's done.

No comments: